Pan-Nymph, ca. 1894
At the invitation of the Dresden State Museums, The Digital Sculpture Project digitized a statue group known as "Pan-Nymph" in 2008. The group was purchased in 1728 in Rome and sent to Dresden where it was displayed in the museum. In the 19C, it was correctly observed that the statue group consisted of ancient and modern elements. The ancient fragments came from several unrelated statues that were integrated into a single sculpture in the baroque period by an unknown restorer, who added modern pieces, where needed, to fill out the composition. In 1894, the "Satyr-Nymph" was disassembled and the 23 ancient and modern fragments were removed from public view. The purpose of our project was to digitally restore the group to its 18C appearance by scanning each fragment, creating a 3D model of it, and then combining the 23 digital fragments so that the group could be seen again as it appeared prior to disassembly.
Pan-Nymph Model Main Page
The Digital Sculpture Project is an activity of the Virtual World Heritage Laboratory.